Apparently I made this look really good. I say it’s more about the angles of my photos than anything. Also the cake (a basic sponge, raspberry flavoured) went largely uneaten. So far Thing 1 is interested in fancy looking cakes and Thing 2 is interested in good tasting cakes (she got ice cream and cake crammed into novelty molds for her 2nd birthday. They turned out like lumps of cake and ice cream, which isn’t a bad thing necessarily, but they did get eaten).
So the cake process.
I looked around and there seemed to be a fair amount of dragon and dinosaur tutorials. They mostly involved cutting shapes out of round cakes and sticking them together. I could work with that. Just to be on the safe side I bought a dinosaur puzzle cake mold
(like this )
in case my experimentation was a complete failure.
So here’s the process more or less:
I thought I had pictures of this bit, but apparently not. So I’ll describe it.
2 circular cakes
Fondant or some kind of decorative frosting
Butter cream or some kind of sticky frosting
Garnish type things.
A pan or plate to assemble the cake on.
What to do:
Cut one circular cake into two semi-circles.
Use butter cream to stick them together into one thicker semi-circle. Turning this flat side down (so the semi-circle forms a hump) stick it to the cake plate.
With the other circular cake you want to cut out these type of shapes:
More or less. That’s not my picture. I cut out the tail and the rest was various rectangles. Then I stuck the tail to the semi-circle, stuck the legs on the side (all with butter cream), cut a smaller chunk for the head to rest on as the neck (I may have held pieces in place with a toothpick where necessary), and put the head on top of the neck stub to give it a real 3D appearance, as opposed to laying the head and neck out straight on the cake plate.
All stuck together, added some extra butter cream and started adding my fondant.
Now I started with white, but Thing 1 wanted a purple dragon so I used regular old food colouring and icing sugar until the fondant wasn’t sticky (think you are supposed to use gel colour, but uh, yeah. I didn’t), kneaded it until I got tired (so it was still kind of swirly because my hands hurt), rolled it out and placed it on. Now I didn’t roll out big sheets because I didn’t have very much counter space, and I’m surprised it turned out looking as nice as it did. All camera angles I promise, it was all stuck together looking up close, though I did get it smoothed out some by using water and the back of a spoon.
I used white chocolate buttons (cut up) for fangs and teeth and decorations, and marshmallows for dragon treasure.
So here’s the finished product:
So yeah, that’s my fancy cake. No one really ate it. Even after we peeled off the fondant and tossed it.